Laptops are as essential a part of our daily lives as smartphones. Laptops, today, have undergone a lot of transformation when you compare them with the age of early personal computers. Whether you are a student, housewife or a budding photographer, laptops are a must for everyone.
Before you head out to buy a laptop, it’s best you know the answers to these basic questions:
- Why do you need Laptop: Laptop is used by architects, interior decorators, bloggers, developers, all kinds of professionals as well as non-professionals. The type of laptop you need will depend on your requirements.
- What are you looking for in a laptop: Do you need a basic laptop, a high capacity processor or one which comes with specific inbuilt programs? For example, if you are looking for certain specifications like AutoCAD features or Photoshop for editing purposes then there are specific specifications you need to look for.
- Budget: Are you buying a laptop for your personal use or office work? High-end laptops, which are mainly used by professionals and which have more advanced features are expensive. Whereas
if you want a laptop only for surfing or doing basic computing, then the basic model, which is easy on the pocket should suffice.
Types of Laptop
Choosing the right laptop can be like finding a needle in a haystack. There are different types and models of laptop available on the shelf.
- Gaming laptop: You will be surprised to know that, there are specific laptop models that cater to people who are into hardcore gaming. Call it their passion or obsession; these people require a laptop with bright and colorful display and high resolution, typically with a core i7 processor. Today you can find a top gaming laptop below 1000.
- Tablet laptop: This type of laptop is detachable from its keyboard. Its offers flexibility to work and gives the feel of working on a tablet. Moreover, once detached, it becomes a touchscreen device.
- Netbook: This laptop is comparatively smaller in size than the usual laptop. Its functions are limited to web browsing or emailing. Most netbooks come with only one memory slot.
- Multimedia Laptop: Touted as very expensive, these laptops give you the pleasure of watching and recording live television shows, provide ports for gaming consoles, play MP3, digital camera, etc.
What to look for in a laptop
- Specifications: For basic computing and browsing, even an i3 processor will do. If you are looking for gaming or need a laptop for professional work, then core i7 works out best. As for RAM, most basic laptops come with 2 GB RAM, which enables web surfing or document texting. But for better and long lasting performance, a 4 GB RAM is beneficial.
- Price Range: Laptops come in the range of $250 and can go as much as $3000 depending on your requirement.
- Platform: Based on your personal preference, you can choose either Windows, chrome OS or Mac OS X. MAC is, of course only for Apple users. If you are not familiar with Mac processes, then it is best to go with laptops that support Windows OS.
- Size: A netbook can be as small as 11 to 12 inches whereas regular laptops range anywhere from 14 inches to 18 inches. Pick the size and weight you are most comfortable with.