Laptops and mobile technology are on the pinnacle of convergence in today’s society due to the smaller and more compact devices available in the market. Laptops are slowly replacing desktops for portability options to advanced features and better hardware than in the past. On the other side, tablets are taking strides toward making many tasks even easier than with a laptop. An in-depth look into laptops versus tablets is more complex than just looking at the features.
Laptops Have Come A Long Way
Gone are the days of bulky and heavy laptops. We all know that they are becoming lighter and lighter as technology gets better. The laptops are handling much more RAM and internal storage than ever making internet activity faster. Laptops have very good screens in many different sizes for your needs. Laptops are now becoming even more efficient and the market is seeing new laptops with touch screens. This is great for people who like tablets but need the power of a laptop.
The Advent Of Tablet
Since the tablet has come onto the market laptops might have faced tough competition, but that was soon short lived. Tablets are a very good device for gaming, sharing, music, art, and daily tasks associated with social lives. Doing simple mundane tasks we did with a mouse is so much easier with a touch screen and applications to help us eliminate wastage of time.
Tablets are much cheaper in comparison to laptops. Laptops have more power and more functionality, for some uses, vital for accessing certain websites and specific programs. A graphic designer may want to opt for a tablet for people to view presentations over a laptop due to ease of use. The laptop is still king when it comes to tasks of typing, publishing, printing etc. In terms of cost, the best one to pick depends on what the application will be. Since laptops are necessary for most our work it would be best to secure one then use a tablet as a companion to the laptop.
If using the tablet only for gaming and social networking then by all means stick with the tablet. Most youngsters tend to like them for the ease of use and the awesome graphics at the touch of a button.
Future Of Laptops & Tablets
Laptops and tablets are going to have a very explosive evolution in the future. Tablets need to be more like a laptop and a laptop needs to be more like a tablet. With new technologies emerging every other day we are more likely to see the integration of the two emerge quickly on the market. Eventually, our mobile technologies and laptops will have to make a full conversion. Just like the iPod merging into an iPhone. This forward thinking will help make readers aware that learning how to use both and knowing best functions for each tool is vital for the evolution of technology. Regardless of the reasons chosen, both the laptop and the tablet are useful and much needed in today’s world.
Laptops are as essential a part of our daily lives as smartphones. Laptops, today, have undergone a lot of transformation when you compare them with the age of early personal computers. Whether you are a student, housewife or a budding photographer, laptops are a must for everyone.
Before you head out to buy a laptop, it’s best you know the answers to these basic questions:
- Why do you need Laptop: Laptop is used by architects, interior decorators, bloggers, developers, all kinds of professionals as well as non-professionals. The type of laptop you need will depend on your requirements.
- What are you looking for in a laptop: Do you need a basic laptop, a high capacity processor or one which comes with specific inbuilt programs? For example, if you are looking for certain specifications like AutoCAD features or Photoshop for editing purposes then there are specific specifications you need to look for.
- Budget: Are you buying a laptop for your personal use or office work? High-end laptops, which are mainly used by professionals and which have more advanced features are expensive. Whereas
if you want a laptop only for surfing or doing basic computing, then the basic model, which is easy on the pocket should suffice.
Types of Laptop
Choosing the right laptop can be like finding a needle in a haystack. There are different types and models of laptop available on the shelf.
- Gaming laptop: You will be surprised to know that, there are specific laptop models that cater to people who are into hardcore gaming. Call it their passion or obsession; these people require a laptop with bright and colorful display and high resolution, typically with a core i7 processor. Today you can find a top gaming laptop below 1000.
- Tablet laptop: This type of laptop is detachable from its keyboard. Its offers flexibility to work and gives the feel of working on a tablet. Moreover, once detached, it becomes a touchscreen device.
- Netbook: This laptop is comparatively smaller in size than the usual laptop. Its functions are limited to web browsing or emailing. Most netbooks come with only one memory slot.
- Multimedia Laptop: Touted as very expensive, these laptops give you the pleasure of watching and recording live television shows, provide ports for gaming consoles, play MP3, digital camera, etc.
What to look for in a laptop
- Specifications: For basic computing and browsing, even an i3 processor will do. If you are looking for gaming or need a laptop for professional work, then core i7 works out best. As for RAM, most basic laptops come with 2 GB RAM, which enables web surfing or document texting. But for better and long lasting performance, a 4 GB RAM is beneficial.
- Price Range: Laptops come in the range of $250 and can go as much as $3000 depending on your requirement.
- Platform: Based on your personal preference, you can choose either Windows, chrome OS or Mac OS X. MAC is, of course only for Apple users. If you are not familiar with Mac processes, then it is best to go with laptops that support Windows OS.
- Size: A netbook can be as small as 11 to 12 inches whereas regular laptops range anywhere from 14 inches to 18 inches. Pick the size and weight you are most comfortable with.
Using the right accessories can make the use of laptops easier and enjoyable. Some other accessories keep your laptop safe and secure.There is a wide range of accessories available in the market. Below are a few that are must-haves:
1. USB Flash drive
Portability of data is one of the critical requirements of today’s world. USB flash drives are small portable devices that can be plugged into USB port in laptops. They enable fast and easy transfer of data from one laptop to the other. There are other means to transfer such as CDs or floppy disks, but USB device is very handy and easy to carry in your bag. USB drive is more durable and reliable. Bluetooth works well for transferring small size files, but USB flash drives are the best to transfer huge files. They come in varying storage capacities ranging from gigabytes to terabytes.
2. External Hard Drive
Using an external hard drive not only provides the benefit of additional storage space to the limited memory of laptops at a low cost but also has the portability factor. Portable Hard Drive can store data of 500 GB or more, which a regular USB flash drive cannot. They can be used for archiving data, and be carried around while traveling. They also serve as a backup, and secure information when your laptop crashes due to an accident or a virus attack. Many hard drives are enabled with security features such as password protection and data encryption, and thus, provide additional confidentiality to your data. One of the most popular uses of hard drives is to store music and movie collections to share with friends. Advanced hard drives now offer an automatic backup feature that synchronizes your data to the cloud. This enables you to keep an online copy of your records.
A mouse will be a great add-on, and can make your life much easier. Many users find it comfortable to use a handheld mouse instead of the touchpad for navigation. It is exhausting to use touchpad if you’re working for long hours on your laptop. The touchpad can strain your wrist. Using mouse relaxes your wrist and increases your reach to the laptop. The mouse also makes it easy to make precise movements on the screen while drawing, or using applications such as Adobe Photoshop. It is small, handy and easy to carry in bags. You can choose to use wired or wireless mouse based on your needs.
4. Cooling pads
Cooling pads are devices that can be placed underneath your laptop to eliminate the excessive heat. Laptops generate a large amount of heat that the inbuilt cooling system cannot handle when running some heavy applications and when used for long hours. Overheating can burn some internal components of your laptop. There are both low cost and expensive cooling pads available. Fans in the cooling pad reduce the operating temperature and protect the laptop.While the low-cost pads perform a decent job, the expensive ones perform heavy duty and remove heat quickly.
All the above accessories can prove to be helpful, and enable to use your laptop with ease.
If you are a designer, then choosing your operating system that supports your work has got many challenges. Other professions do have some specific requirements as well, but when you are a designer you are torn to choose between various platforms, software pertaining to images and even framework. The major challenge is to choose an OS which will support the software installations for your work. Now if you have been a Windows user for quite some time, you maybe already know why you want to switch over to MAC. If you are an MAC user, you have enough reasons to stay along with MAC or shift over to Windows. Both have their own pros and cons.
Let us take a detailed look at the specifications of the two to make an informed choice:
If you are an avid windows user, you probably would have heard MAC users especially designers rave about the aesthetics part of the OS. So what does MAC have to offer which makes it so unique? MAC OS X with its trackpad makes navigation and working so simple and genuinely user-friendly. They are easy to use and make you fall in love with your work often.
Cost effective OS
So windows users often complain about how expensive MAC OS could get. Now there is a misconception in general that windows have the Microsoft office installed for free. We often think, ponder over it and end up thinking, now that I have installed windows; I could start working on outlook and word documents right away. Here you are in for a surprise that you have to install a package separately for you to get going.
You will need to think about installing anti-virus protection software as well. You have to spend on frequent upgrades as well to keep your laptop safe.
Technical Features of MAC for Designers
MAC offers some technical features for designers which make them prone to go for this OS instead of the renowned windows.
- Some built-in apps and tools like the console, time machine, zoom, and terminal make them apt for designers.
- Text editors which are lightweight are available to users
- The OS is secure against spyware and malware
- A consistent user interface makes your work simple and makes you feel like you are working on a single app although you are working on multiple utilities.
- Quartz windowing system enables to give you bird’s eye view, resizing your windows on the screen and creating a perfect view of your workspace. This also helps to enable multiple desktops and easy navigation from one to the other.
- Another feature core animation takes the experience to a whole new level where you could boast of some animated creativity.
What makes MAC completely different from windows is it is UNIX based. An array of developers and designers are aware of the issues one faces regularly at work when your OS is Linux based. On the contrary, a variety of designing tools like PHP and Apache could be handled easily on a UNIX platform.